Aqsunqur Mosque blue mosque Also referred to as Aqsunqur, this 1300s structure includes a mausoleum, courtyard & a blue-tiled interior. The Aqsunqur Mosque. Turkish: Aksungur Camii; also called the Blue Mosque or the Mosque of Ibrahim Agha. is situated in Cairo, Egypt and is certainly one of several “blue mosques” in the world. It’s located in the Tabbana Quarter (Darb al-Ahmar district) in Islamic Cairo, between Bab Zuweila and the Citadel of Saladin (Cairo Citadel.) The Aqsunqur Mosque also serves as a funerary complex, containing the mausoleums of its founder Shams ad-Din Aqsunqur, his sons, numerous children of the Bahri Mamluk sultan an-Nasir Muhammad and that of its principal restorer, Ibrahim Agha al-Mustahfizan.as used only for Friday prayers and religious holidays.
The mosque was built-in 1347 on the orders of the emir (“prince”) Shams ad-Din Aqsunqur throughout the reign of the Mamluk sultan, al-Muzaffar Hajji. Aqsunqur was the son-in-law of former sultan an-Nasir Muhammad and one of many more prominent emirs of the latter’s court. Aqsunqur’s influence in the affairs of the sultanate grew throughout the reign of an-Nasir’s successors following his death in 1340.
Medieval Muslim historian al-Maqrizi noted Aqsunqur supervised the whole project and also participated in its actual construction. Being the former governor of Tripoli, he’d the mosque built-in a Syrian architectural style. It absolutely was built round the late sultan al-Ashraf Kujuk’s mausoleum which have been constructed previously in 1341. The mausoleum’s incorporation within the mosque accounts for the irregularity of the building’s structure. Aqsunqur’s grave can be positioned in the mosque complex along side those of his sons. A mausoleum for Umm as-Sultan al-Sha’ban, certainly one of an-Nasir’s wives and mother of sultan Kamal Sha’ban, was built-in 1359 while another tomb was built for an-Nasir’s son Tankizbugha in 1362.
By the 15th century the Aqsunqur Mosque was reportedly in poor shape because of the loss of waqf (“religious endowments”) funds from Syria. In 1412 a şadirvan (“ablution fountain”) was built-in the biggest market of the courtyard by the Mamluk emir Tughan. Because funding was low, the Aqsunqur Mosque w